Pages

Friday, May 12, 2017

Baby Protein Bowls

Hello, and welcome to the second installment of Jaclyn Dabbles In Pretentious Mommy Blogging™.



I made mjadara recently, and Zoë seemed to really enjoy the bite I gave her. Lentils are a great source of potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin, telepathy powers, vitamin K, dietary fiber, lean protein, laser vision, folate, and iron, so I thought I'd see if I could coerce my little cereal-hater into eating some more. Plus, lentils are a novel texture and taste for babies who are ready for slightly chunkier solid food, without posing a choking hazard.

Ingredients

1/4 cup lentils
2 cups water
3 tbsp butter
4 oz jar of vegetable baby food

Directions
  1.  In a small pot, combine the lentils and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
  2. Drain any excess water.
  3. Add the butter and stir until melted. (Saturated fats are actually really good for babies, but if you're morally opposed to butter and happiness in general, I suppose you could substitute olive oil or something).
  4. Add a jar of your baby's favorite flavor of vegetables. (I used sweet potatoes, because
    Zoë has no sympathy for the fact that sweet potatoes smell like someone stirred brown sugar into day-old vomit).
  5. Separate into fourish portions, and store in the refrigerator or freezer until use.
Zoë kept grabbing at the spoon and insisting on feeding herself, so I'd say the recipe was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment